Auteur Sujet: Let's put the final polish on the English translation  (Lu 45706 fois)

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #105 le: 04 janvier 2010, 08:52:59 am »
More to the point, email me if there's any area that we've been missing in the manuals and I'll dedicate a little time that-a-ways...
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #106 le: 04 janvier 2010, 12:01:13 pm »
Book 2 still needs some work done on it, and anything on the screen in the F8 and F9 options;  I've barely looked at those.  F7 is mostly done, but if you see anything there that's not right, let me know. 

Don't worry about US/UK spelling.  I'm letting the spelling checker find those and converting everything to UK English.  Souperflououous oUs for the win!

(Please dou nout let my dishounourable behaviour coulour youour oupinioun.  This is houw youour writing lououks to ous.)

:D

Hououk

Hors ligne chops

• Lieutenant
Re: Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #107 le: 04 janvier 2010, 15:27:56 pm »
1.  On the F7 screen for Speed.   Change mn to min.  for minutes.

2.  Also, would it be possible to add the Unit Nationality somewhere in the manual and game?   Maybe have a section in the manual that shows each flag graphically and the nationality next to it, or have a mouse-over tooltip in the game, or on the F7 screen.  Having this information in the manual and in the game would be ideal.

3.  Regarding my previous post on Marshals...it still seems to me that it should be changed to Corps Commander for consistency.  Reading section 4.4.3 and 4.5 the Marshal sounds like a Corps Commander or maybe an Army Commander.  In any case, I think that it needs to be changed throughout the manual.

(If Marshal is left in the manual at least make it clear that Marshall is the same as an Army Commander for example, if this is in fact accurate)

edit:  changed no. 3 section numbers.
« Modifié: 04 janvier 2010, 22:50:51 pm par chops »

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #108 le: 04 janvier 2010, 19:45:10 pm »
1.  Saw that one in the files last night and already fixed it based on your earlier recommendation.  Thanks. :D

2.  If you activate the Help function by clicking on the "?" or pressing the ? key, hovering the mouse cursor over the flag will usually give you the nationality.  I'd prefer a list of flags in the manual, though.

By now you will have decided which of your subordinates will have the high honour of leading your forces. Your aide-de-camp will lean over his parchment, and, as you dictate, he will begin to write:

“INFORM MARSHAL SOULT THAT I ORDER HIM TO DEPLOY HIS FORCES ALONG THE SECTOR LEADING FROM . . .”

This order will specify, of course, the line of deployment the Marshal’s troops will occupy after he has finished moving them, but it will say nothing about his initial set-up along that line. Your Marshal, one of the most famous in Europe, will be responsible for laying out each regiment of infantry and cavalry and each company of artillery along his assigned sector.

This is what the manual says, including the bold in the manual text.  We're talking about a specific commander in this case, so "corps commander" wouldn't be right.  The only other thing I can think of would be to replace "Marshal" with "Soult", and I hope most people would have figured out who we're talking about there.  I can understand confusion if you skip over the bold type, which is what I often do myself.

I do appreciate you catching stuff in the interface.  I think a lot of people skip over most of it.  I never thought of changing "mn" to "min", but it's a good idea.

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #109 le: 05 janvier 2010, 00:23:46 am »
Note:  It's probably better to make a new post instead of editing a previous one.  I may never see your edit.  I did catch this one edit.

From 4.4.3

Any operational unit is either attached or detached from a corps command. In the former case, the corps commander controls its movements and formations.

Changed.  I'm looking at the rest of the chapter.  I doubt anyone has looked through this part of the manual before.

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #110 le: 05 janvier 2010, 00:38:51 am »
All the instances of "Marshal" have been replaced by "corps commander"  unless they are talking about a specific marshal.

Good catch, chops. Thanks.

Hook

Hors ligne chops

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #111 le: 05 janvier 2010, 02:08:30 am »
Glad to help.  Much thanks to you Hook, the Beta Team including Les Grognards and Grenadiers, and of course JMM and his crew.  Although I am just learning about Napoleon and his exploits, I think it is very important to support independent developers that strive to make highly detailed simulations rather than games.
« Modifié: 05 janvier 2010, 16:56:48 pm par chops »

Hors ligne Regiment 0

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #112 le: 06 janvier 2010, 09:15:09 am »
I had a go at Chapter 4 of Book 1 (attached as zip to meet file size requirements).

Note that I have not necessarily included anything anyone else has mentioned previously in this chapter.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #113 le: 06 janvier 2010, 13:26:00 pm »
See if this rewrite of section 4.2 makes any more sense.

Hook

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #114 le: 07 janvier 2010, 22:36:51 pm »
Is it possible to get a list of contributors...

THX

JMM

Hors ligne Regiment 0

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #115 le: 07 janvier 2010, 22:55:31 pm »
See if this rewrite of section 4.2 makes any more sense.

As per my PM it looks good to me.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #116 le: 08 janvier 2010, 00:09:56 am »
Is it possible to get a list of contributors...

I've got a list I made from the people who have contributed significant changes in this thread. If you suggested a manual change and I missed you, please let me know.

Regiment 0
dieseltaylor
HarryInk
Ras
Franciscus
chops

Also, if JMM is putting these names in the credits, and you want your full name, please let me know either here or in private message.

Larry Hookins "Hook"

Hors ligne Regiment 0

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #117 le: 08 janvier 2010, 01:59:15 am »
Further to section 4.2. This includes a diagram so you may need to be in Print layout view to see it.
« Modifié: 08 janvier 2010, 02:22:41 am par Regiment 0 »

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #118 le: 10 janvier 2010, 05:35:23 am »
I think I have finally beaten section 4.2 into submission.  It makes sense, it's internally consistent, and it matches the game.

It still needs some final polish.

File attached.

Hook

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
« Réponse #119 le: 10 janvier 2010, 10:18:20 am »
All praise to you, Larry. :)
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"